Keep reading for the analysis details, results and conclusions.
- The 5975-SMB could uniquely elute all the major beeswax ingredients including its heavy esters and triglycerides. It actually doubled the range of compounds that was obtained with standard GC-MS (Agilent 5975 at Migal laboratories).
- The 5975-SMB uniquely provided abundant or dominant molecular ions to all the beeswax compounds thereby combined with previous point (1 above) enabled the analysis.
- The main goal of analysis of beeswax at 1 ppm LOD level was conveniently achieved as demonstrated below with three ions SIM analysis.
- We found that the fragment mass m/z=257.3 was shared by 5-6 palmitic acid esters hence could serve as a good fingerprint of the beeswax with further confirmation of beeswax identification via two molecular ions of these palmitic acid esters.
- While some matrix interference remained, a good measurement of the beeswax concentration was obtained.
- Calibration curve was linear in the 1-100 ppm range and good long term stability was observed.
|Figure 2. RSIM mass chromatograms of the beeswax standard as in figure 1 above on the major palimit acid esters fragment of m/z=257.3 and on two such esters molecular ions of m/z=592.7 and 676.8. (Click to Enlarge Image)|